Aaj fir khule aasman ke niche sone ko dil chaahta hai

Today when I was standing in my balcony enjoying the cool breeze after dinner, I closed my eyes and went back to my childhood days when we used to sleep under starry sky in summers. 
I remember this part of my childhood clearly when during the summer time we used to wait for the night to fall, sometimes even for the electricity to go. We used to live in the first floor and had a open terrace all to ourselves. That terrace was our playground, place to sneak in and hide, our abode for holi to throw balloons, flying kites on Teej and many many more things. It also held a different meaning when we used to lie in our beds and sleep under the open and clear sky. With cool breeze blowing, under the starry sky listening to stories from my parents, telling stories about what happened in the school, always mentioning the way my teacher praised me today in the class and then waiting for them to motivate to do better and achieve more. 
I was not someone who used to come first in the class, but I did ok, managed to stay in the top students, being known by name to the teachers, but it was always a dream to stand upto my parents' dream. I can not say I achieved them but like the starry skies which looked like a far fetched dream and  always came closer to me at every night; my dreams have been something close to my heart. 

Today I miss the excitement to finish my dinner and pack up my bag for the next day of school, change into night clothes and rush upstairs to the terrace to help my father prepare the beds for all of us. Sitting with the next door kids and discuss petty things which mattered alot at that age. I miss that innocence and even can't see a glimpse of it in today's kids. 
I do not know if my kids will laugh at me when I tell them the story and my experience about sleeping under open, starry sky, feeling the natural breeze. I do not know if they will ever get to experience that surreal and heavenly experience. 

Even the mornings used to be so beautiful, waking up to the chirping of sparrows and birds, seeing the first ray of sun fall on us and trying to hide from it by pulling the bedspread little more on the face, continued pampering of parents to get up and get ready for school. 

In the hustle bustle of this life, I feel, we are leaving behind a lot of simple things and getting lost in the complications of life. May be life was complicated then also but those complications were so innocent which are missing in today's childhood.

I want to sleep under that starry sky again, I want to see so many dreams again, listen to so many interesting and funny stories again, face the fear of taking test in school again. I want to live with that simplicity again, let go off the complications of today's lives. I want to be that person again, live that life again!!

I think I am asking for too much. What do you think?

Comments

Popular Posts